Sunday, February 3, 2008

Be sure that your child gets some socialization...

For some, when they hear that we homeschool, they become quite concerned about my daughters social activities. I am not sure why they think that we are tucked away in our house, never to see the light of day or another 10 year old soul. I'll tell you, the word homeschooler is an oxymoron...we are never home. Maybe we should be called carschoolers as I think that is where a lot of "school" work gets accomplished. We drive to choir...to piano lessons...to scouts...to soccer practice...to gymnastics...to our homeschool group's classes...to park days...to the library...to playdates with friends...and I am sure that there are a million more places that are part of our weekly agenda. I think that as "car schoolers" we have more opportunities to socialize than if she was in a class room all day where she would get into trouble for socializing.

Our journey to homeschooling was not an easy one. It is not something that I even wanted to do. I was really looking forward to the day when both of my children would be in school and I would have a little "me" time. HA! Katie attended kindergarten through a church program...and I was desperate to find a place for her to go. I was trying to do all I could to avoid the homeschooling option. And then...someone let me borrow their copy of "The Well Trained Mind" by Susan Wise Bauer. I read that book from cover to cover...ordered my own copy...and KNEW that homeschooling was something that I could do. My degrees are in Anthropology and History...so the program really spoke to me.

After I had made my decision to homeschool, I found out about a magnet school in our county that took children from out of the area (the spots were awarded by lottery). It was a great program, so I arranged to go on a tour. I was very impressed...but when I asked how they would handle my daughter - who before kindergarten was reading novels and making up algebraic equations for fun...I was told that she would probably have to follow what the class was doing, or do some independent study. Well...that sealed the deal for me...I could do that at home...and let her progress at the rate she needed.

We are now in our fourth year of homeschooling...and now the question we get is...why do you homeschool one and not the other? That is an easy one...every child is different...with different needs. Katie needs to be at home...Madalyn needs to be at school...everyone is happy...and everyone is learning!

7 comments:

Rhea said...

I think I need to read that well trained mind book.

Unknown said...

Sounds like you made some really good choices. Plus, it keeps your mind active as well!! :-)

Tiffany said...

All hail The Well Trained Mind! That's like the Bible in our house, so to speak.

Tiffany said...

And I know exactly what you mean about carschooling. There is actually a carschooling yahoo group out there. We have soccer three nights a week plus Saturday games, guitar lessons, dance lessons, gymnastics lessons, tennis lessons, library visits, book clubs, and field trips. And park days - yes, don't forget the park days.

Tiffany said...

I knew before having children that I wanted to homeschool. But after having my oldest, Bailey, there's no way she would survive the PS system. Greyson (the younger one) would handle it more easily but wants to be home with us. It's awesome that you know your girls well enough to understand what's best for them though. I know lots of hs'ers that have kids at home that would definitely be better off in school. But then, with so many different reasons for homeschooling these days, you'll run across that.

Tiffany said...

And I love how people tell me I don't look like a homeschooler. ha

I've had people ask me why I don't have my hair pulled back in a bun and have a denim skirt on. There is such a stereotype about us hs'ers. hee hee

Unknown said...

I took Anthropology 101 and 102 at Uni. Loved it...

Our Prof had a skull sitting on his lecturn ...